Last year I had a huge goal for 2012 – to do 24 races in 12 months. We were able to check that off the list, but it didn’t come without sacrifices elsewhere. I didn’t go hang out with friends nearly as much as I should have. I didn’t go to any Game Dev Beer Nights until after race season. I didn’t write as much as I wanted and I for sure didn’t read nearly as much as the year before (I read over 100 books in 2011, only about 80 in 2012). My motivation was to live my life in a way where I could race as often as was required to meet my goal.
2012’s 24 races in 12 months was amazing but it was draining and I accomplished what I wanted to out of it.
1. I was able to accomplish all my work and still get to every race healthy, fit, and ready to fight.
2. I was able to prepare properly the day of a race. We got the day before and the day of racing prep to a science (this will be a post in the future).
3. I was able to sleep before a race and not wake up every few minutes during the night. Before this I would be too nervous and sleep fitfully. Now I am way more calm about the whole process (most times).
This year my expectations are to:
1. Train properly for each race and distance. We will be using racing as a compliment to our A races, and not something to schedule training around.
2. Keep up with my nutritional needs for each stage of training. Eating as healthy as possible while staying sane, and fueling each workout properly.
3. Get better quality sleep the weeks leading to a race. Dependent on work hours as always, but making sleep a priority.
My motivation: It is going to be TRI season in a blink of the eye. If I can commit to better habits of eating and sleeping now, they should be able to carry over into the times when I will need them the most.